Notice

The contents of this blog are copyrighted to the author, Missy (unless otherwise noted) and may not be used, reprinted, published or in any way copied without written permission of the author.

The medical information contained in this blog (when it appears) is not intended to provide medical advice of any kind. Any medical topics discussed here are as they pertain to the author and her conditions only. Do not make any changes to your medications, treatments, etc. without speaking to your personal physician first.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Video Blogs on YouTube

Thanks to it being more difficult for me to sit up for long periods of time, I decided to start doing video blogs (Vlogs) on You Tube. I did a group of videos that basically give my history of chronic pain and how I got to where I am today. Since that story has already been told on this blog in the post 30 Years Of Chronic pain, I won't include that videos here. However, I will post other videos to the blog for people to watch if they want to.

I did one the other day about safety with medications. I also did a written post on this blog for the same topic, so I don't think I need to link that video. However, today I started a series of videos on judgements. Since people with chronic illness and / or chronic pain are judged in many different areas, I have chosen to do this topic as a series of videos. For the first one I chose the topic of how chronically ill people and people who suffer from chronic pain are judged for their diagnoses such as being told that illness doesn't exist, it's all in your head, you don't look sick and more. I hope the video is educational and of value to people who watch it.



I also made a request of viewers and I wish to make the same request of my blog readers also. So here is the video explaining my request.


Thank you everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Missy -
    Thanks for doing these 2 videos for your readers & audience. You ask for different ways that people deal with other people's judgment. For me, going to therapy was the most helpful. I cannot change other people's perceptions of me. In the beginning, I tried by explaining to them what was going on with my trigeminal neuralgia (severe, facial, nerve pain) & with my multiple sclerosis). Because I was in a lot of pain, I was emotionally sensitive. By going to a therapist (who didn't just give me exercises to do, but actually listened to me), I could discuss & cry about my frustrations & learn who was worth my energy by discussing w/them what was going on with me, & others who sucked my physical & emotional energy. In this sense, I changed my behavior about other people's reactions rather than trying to change their behavior.

    If one of the people who was judgmental towards me was a family member, such as a spouse or a caregiver, then I would ask them if they wanted to go to therapy with me because our interactions were preventing us from having a loving relationship. In some cases, they did come to the appts, (like Mom), in other situations they didn't - like my Dad (& he was most judgmental). These sessions w/partners & caregivers often were helpful, & so were the sessions about my father. I learned skills to protect myself when he would begin saying judgmental things - such as asking him to leave.

    I also joined a group for people w/chronic pain who had an authorized leader, such as an R.N. or a therapist. I did not join groups with a lay person leader because often those groups ended up being bitch sessions about who was wronging them & what was hurting. To help combat other people's judgment, the key is to build up my sense of selfworth to the point in which it doesn't matter what other people think/say about me. Rather, what I think about myself is what's most important, & surrounding myself with positive people who think well of me & love me for who I am.

    That's enough for now. These comment boxes are so small on the phones that it's hard to see the what I wrote! :-)

    Monique

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and/or comment on my blog. For people who are chronically ill and/or in constant pain, it can be difficult to socialize as frequently as we would like to do so. Talking with others online is a way for us to socialize, chat with others, make new friends, reach out to others in similar circumstances and many more positive effects.

Knowing that someone has read my posts and commented on it, helps in many ways. The biggest two being that it helps ease the feeling of being "alone" and that no one could possibly understand. Secondly, it reminds us that others truly do care and that just feels wonderful!!

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and/or comment on my blog, it really does mean a great deal to me and is helpful too!